Hello my Sparkle Princes and Princesses.
This month has taken us in such a completely different direction than I ever dreamed was possible. Many of us are bunkered down with our loved ones in the safety of our homes and only leaving for the essentials. Our routines have been completely annihilated as kids are home from school, we and/or our spouse suddenly find ourselves working from home. We are adapting to the ever changing landscape as we fight an enemy that is invisible to us until it strikes. Millions of emotions circulate through our bodies as we try to make sense of the current reality and move into a new reality. We listen to the news, but not too much. We keep informed, but have to sort through the headlines to find the truth. We band together while keeping ourselves physically apart.
Depression footholds are everywhere and we can often slip into them without even realizing we are doing it. We stop wearing makeup every day because “I’m working from home”. We stay in our pajamas and forget to wash our hair or practice our skincare routine. We don’t like what we see when we look in the mirror or the whiff we get from our armpit when we reach to retrieve something, but it’s just so overwhelming that we feel too tired to take care of our selves in these basic ways.
In our bid for a sense of normalcy, we often overlook the options we have to create “normal” for ourselves right now. I know. I’m right there with you. Avoiding the shower like an ex. Staying up to late. Flipping off my makeup kit. Telling my razor to talk to the hand. And scowling at my toothbrush. But, I know that I do better mentally, physically, and emotionally when I am meeting the basic requirements to feel human. So, here is a quick list of a few of the things that I am doing to care for myself and bring a sense of pride and confidence even in these chaotic times.
1. Working out for 30 minutes a day at least 5 days per week. For me this is a combination of cardio and weight training.
2. Eating regular meals throughout the day that are well balanced and nutritious.
3. Showering and brushing my teeth daily.
4. Ensuring the dishes are done at minimum every two days if not daily.
5. Talking to friends regularly through text, messenger, videochat, or phone call.
6. Hydrating internally with plenty of water and externally with moisturizer.
7. Playing with my makeup in some form at least once a day. (This is the one that I struggle to maintain the most. Anyone else find this? The one that brings the most joy and benefit to our mental wellbeing is often the first to go when we aren’t doing well?)
Of course there are more beautiful ways we can maintain or improve our overall health and wellbeing, but they can only be implemented effectively and without added stress when we take the time to build the foundation with our essential selfcare.
I know it’s hard. I know it’s scary. I know it’s exceptionally challenging times. I also know you are Glitterally Awesome and together we can get through this crisis and come out with resilience and adaptability strengths we didn’t realize we possessed.
Dance. Fight. Care.